Estate planning is more than what most people think. It is more than drafting a simple will for the transfer of assets.
Estate planning comprises everything that has to do with one’s estate, addressing the risks and issues an estate may face.
And when it comes to estate planning, it is important you follow all local laws applicable to the estate in question. So if you live in Bronx, it becomes important you seek help from an estate planning lawyer near you in Bronx.
Hiring an estate planning lawyer near you guarantees that your estate plan would be state compliant and valid. And our estate planning lawyers ensures all typical concerns with Bronx estates are covered.
In need of expert assistance from an experienced estate planning lawyer in Bronx? Call our law office to speak with one.
Things an estate planning lawyer will help you do in Bronx
1. Assess your estate and situation to identify your needs
It is true that even when looking to create an estate plan, you may not yet know all that you need to plan for. Left alone, most people only create wills thinking that’s all there is to estate planning.
But it is our duty as your legal professional to address every issue you may face that falls under the estate laws of Bronx.
There are many documents and strategies we can apply for the following situations:
- You are in a blended family and need assurance that your own kids from the previous marriage get a share in your inheritance when you pass away
- You have a child with special needs
- You have minors (children below 18 cannot inherit under New York laws)
- Incapacity can happen at anytime, and we need to plan for your care and asset management
- Your debts are heavy and would drain your estate significantly if they are to be paid
- You have a large estate that’s subject to huge estate taxes
- You wish to shield your assets from liens, nursing home costs, etc, while qualifying for Medicaid
- You have property in multiple states
- You have complexly owned assets and are unsure how they will pass on your death.
2. Help you establish estate planning documents that serve your needs
After assessing all that pertains to you and your estate, we then draft out estate planning documents to address each issue. Our estate planning lawyers serving Bronx are known for their attention to detail, ensuring each line and instruction in your document is clear and works towards your estate goals. As the case may be, we will help you create a will, living trust, living will, durable power of attorney, healthcare surrogate, irrevocable trust, special needs trust, etc.
3. Ensure your documents are state compliant and valid
There are laws binding each estate planning document. For example, you cannot appoint a non-NY resident as your fiduciary. If you do, then your wish may not be honored. To ensure you get your estate plan right, it’s best to work with a local attorney near you who is well acquainted with the local laws.
4. Update your estate plan
Your documents will need to be checked from time to time if they align with your current situation and goals. For instance, 5 years ago, you may have named your Joel as a beneficiary in your will. But it’s possible that Joel predeceases you, so you would need to remove their name. If not, it becomes confusing who their allocated inheritance will go to. You may also have new assets that you need to address in your estate plan. While being busy with your life, you may forget to do all these, so it’s always best to have an estate planning lawyer working with you to ensure everything is as it should be.
5. Keep up with state laws
Estate laws are ever-changing. For example, the New York estate tax exemption amount changes every year. It becomes important you have a professional up to date with these estate laws to ensure your estate plan remains in line with the laws and your goals.
6. Plan towards tax savings
In NY, if the estimated value of your entire possession (your estate) exceeds $5.93 million at the time of your death, an amount known as estate tax must be paid to the state of New York. But through proper planning, an estate planning attorney Bronx can help you prevent this, ensuring your valuable money goes to your loved ones who deserve it.
Where can I get an Estate Planning Lawyer near me Bronx?
Contact our law office to speak with an Estate Planning Lawyer in Bronx.