Estate Planning – Protect Your Family’s Finances

Share This Post:

Estate Planning - Protect Your Family's Finances

If you want to protect the entire family’s finances, you should continue reading further because this article will give you the understanding on knowing what to do with all your money if anything crucial happens that can effect the entire household. With an entire estate plan, you will be prepared for whatever can happen and feel secured with your cash. There’s simple tasks just like getting life insurance, drafting a will and assigning trusts. These are important guidelines on making sure you have the perfect plan for everyone’s future in your home to guarantee an easier living. One thing to remember is to make sure everything you own goes to the right person to prevent any future conflicts.

Draft Your Will

The first thing to know is that everyone has beneficiaries such as; your retirement plan, tax refunds and other governments investments that you want to include in the draft of your will. Remember to keep in mind of all these government documents to prevent these court cases from happening between your family against court determined organizations who are eligible to obtain it all from you if no one is listed as the new owner. According to surveys, only about 30% of people in the United States make their own wills leaving the rest of the 70% to decide which finances are moved to where or who. Without a will, you or members of your family will be participating with these battles for money which they do not deserve.

Assign A Trustee

Cases like these take months or sometimes years to handle but all it takes is to assign a trustee. Trusts is another legal document that shows ways you want to distribute your goods towards your family. There’s the trustor, trustee, the beneficiaries or just a beneficiary, and the grantor, who approves theses trusts. The trustor is the person that makes the trust for the assets he or she is holding. The trustee is the person that holds responsibility of the trustor’s belongings all for taking care of the beneficiaries after death.  Then the beneficiaries are people or even an organization that will benefit from this plan.

One Document

Another thing to add is that you must make sure that you have enough life insurance to proceed further payments of your family home after your death, though with property insurance, you can get covered if you’ve been ever injured on your own property. To make sure that everyone in the household is taken care of, it’s important to list your important sources of assets like; belongings, accounts, investments, and other kinds of ways you may be increasing these assets should be kept within one document. Only one person you trust should know where it can be and help manage these funds. Another note to add is that you can also assign the role of the executor, who is the person to make a list of wishes from the will happen, and the guardian of your children to be your trustee who can ensure safety of all your capital.

Joint Tenancy

Joint tenancy can also be a good option when it comes to managing your assets. All you have to do is be the co-signer of your home between yourself and your spouse. If any spouse has passed the other gets the rest of what he or she owns but if this happens the other needs to pay more costs on the deceased spouses side such as the total taxes on the house that’s been co-signed. You would pay double the taxes. To prevent this you can always sign up to a Limited Liability Company and avoid any kind of these difficulties. Any limited liability company enables you to own a piece of real estate from just one family member and manage it without any trouble.

These steps are important when it comes to needing to know where your money could end up. All this can be beneficial for everyone in your household especially when it comes to huge sums of cash that can help with any extra payments instead of having to deal with all the court battles which is something any family should not go through. You would want to make sure that everyone gets the best care they can get from all these finances and put it to use for their rightful owners. It’s best to plan ahead and avoid any conflict that can make things more complicated when they shouldn’t. So remember who you would put in your will and be held responsibly for who would be your executor, trustee, and/or guardian of your children.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided in this blog is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. The content of this blog may not reflect the most current legal developments. No attorney-client relationship is formed by reading this blog or contacting Morgan Legal Group.

Got a Problem? Consult With Us

For Assistance, Please Give us a call or schedule a virtual appointment.